Important Disclaimers and Legal Information
NOTICE: Please visit: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/tech/privacy.shtm for important information about safe surfing from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission
Equedia believes that you should understand how we use the information you provide and furthermore, that you should have the right to approve the use of that information. In the handling of your information, Equedia follows a policy of “informed consent.” In the course of using the varied features of this website, you may provide information (such as name, contact information, or other registration information) to Equedia, its service providers, or other businesses you contact. Equedia and these entities may use, and you agree that Equedia may use, this information as well as technical information about your use of this website, or communicate separately with you. Equedia will not provide our users’ personal information to companies you have not interacted with, and we prohibit the companies that obtain such information from selling or redistributing it without your prior notice. Equedia will not disclose your personal information, except as described herein, and Equedia will not disclose information to others that would connect your user name with your actual name, unless Equedia is compelled to do so by legal authorities. In our sole discretion, we reserve the right to make exceptions whenever we believe an emergency, illegal activity, or some other reasonable basis exists for notifying or providing such information to the appropriate authorities.
Equedia collects information about our users so that we can provide a more interesting and useful service, as well as more targeted advertising. We ask for your name, e-mail address, and other personal information when you register to use certain features of our website, or when you sign up for special or personalized services, such as our discussion boards or e-mail newsletters. We also may ask for this information at other times, such as when you enter contests or other promotions sponsored by Equedia and/or our partners. We sometimes conduct surveys as well, although you are not required to respond to them.
If you use our recommendation service to e-mail one of our articles to a friend, you will need to provide us with your friend’s e-mail address and your e-mail address as a return address. We will automatically send this person a one-time e-mail, with the recommended article attached, as well as an invite for your friend to visit and register with our site. We will not use these e-mail addresses for any other purpose.
We collect IP addresses for site security and to help us understand how people use our sites so that we can improve our sites and our users’ respective experiences. For similar quality reasons, we use a feature known as a “cookie” when you visit our site. A notation may be fed to a file known as a “cookie” in your computer for future reference. If you revisit the site, the “cookie” file allows the website to identify you as a return guest, and offer you products tailored to your interests or tastes. You can set your browser preferences to limit “cookies,” or to let you know about “cookies” that a website places on your computer.
We may also collect your e-mail address when you submit content to our sites (for example; blogs, video posts, or group discussion entries). Unless we get your approval, we will not display your e-mail address with your submission.
Besides cookies, we may also use tiny electronic images (called “single-pixel GIFs” or “Web beacons”), which allow us to count users who have visited specific pages or accessed certain cookies. We may use single-pixel GIFs in the following ways:
- To count and recognize users
- To conduct research on behalf of some partners about their websites
- For auditing purposes
- To determine aggregate information about users, including demographic and usage information
- To determine which e-mail messages were opened and/or acted upon when we send HTML-formatted e-mail messages (messages resembling web pages that include graphics
Advertising networks that serve ads on our site may also use single-pixel GIFs in their advertisements. In general, any electronic image viewed as part of a web page, including an ad banner, can act as a web beacon.
How Does Equedia Use Your Personal Information?
Equedia collects personal information to provide you with the best and most personalized experience possible. It also allows us to provide our advertisers with an efficient way to reach the right audience. By knowing a little about you, Equedia can deliver more relevant content and advertisements to you.
We conduct research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior based upon the information you provide us when you register or participate in contests, or other services and promotions on our site, or based upon the information on our server log files. This research is compiled and analyzed on an aggregated basis. We may also notify you of products, services, or areas of our site that we think may interest you based on the information we’ve received. If you would prefer us not to contact you for these purposes, simply go to our opt-out page and let us know.
In addition to helping us process your order, we use the information we collect from you when you buy a product or service from us so that we can provide you with an enhanced and more personalized shopping experience. We will also send occasional discount alerts and notices about products and services that we think may interest you. If you would prefer that we not send you those notices, simply use our opt-out page to let us know.
Sometimes we ask for personal information when providing special features and services. You do not have to give us that information, but without it, you may not be able to take advantage of those products or services. For example, you will be unable to track your personal stock portfolio on our site unless you input the stocks you own or watch and you may not be able to gain access to certain areas of our site unless you register and/or subscribe.
IP Addresses and Cookies
Cookies are used on our sites in the following ways:
- To access your stored account information automatically when you log on to our site, in order to deliver better and more personalized service
- To estimate our audience size and usage patterns. The unique cookie that is given to each browser accessing Equedia is then used to determine usage patterns for targeting content and ads based upon user interests
For more information about cookies, read the unofficial Cookie FAQ from http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/.
Will Equedia Disclose Any of Your Personal Information?
Equedia will not disclose any personally identifiable information about individual users, except as described in this Privacy Statement. With the few exceptions that we explain here, we do not give, rent, lend, or sell individual information to our advertisers, although we do provide aggregate information. For example, we might tell an advertiser that there are 90,000 registered users in a given city, but we will not tell them that John Smith is one of them, nor will we give them his e-mail address. We may also use this aggregated information to help the advertisers reach the kind of audience they want. They may give us an advertisement and tell us the type of audience they want to reach (for example, males in a certain area code).
Equedia (or people working on our behalf under contracts and confidentiality agreements) would then take the advertisement and display it to users who have told us they meet those criteria. We may also disclose aggregate information (for example, information showing that 55 million of our readers clicked on a particular web advertising banner last month) in order to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers, and other third parties, and for other lawful purposes.
As for individually identifiable information, we may disclose it only under the following circumstances:
- We may disclose information to others when we have your consent
If you sign up for a special offer from an advertiser, we will provide your individual contact information (for example, name, mailing address, e-mail address, and/or telephone number), so that the advertiser or its agent can fulfill the special offer. Once the advertiser receives the information, it will be subject to that firm’s own privacy policies; however, if you do not want a particular advertiser to have your personal information, then you should not sign up for that advertiser’s offer
- We may disclose information to selected partners, under nondisclosure agreements, only for the purpose of marketing Equedia co-branded offerings; those partners will be able to use the personal information they receive from us only for marketing the co-branded offerings, not for marketing anything else – if you would prefer not to hear such announcements, simply go to our opt-out page and let us know
- If you buy something from us, we will disclose your personal information to the extent necessary to fulfill your order and if applicable, charge your credit card. We may use a fulfillment company to fill and ship your order (excluding products you download directly from our site) and a credit card processing company to verify your card number and process the transaction. For example, if you order a Equedia service with your credit card, we need to give your address to the fulfillment house and your credit card information to the processing company (to confirm payment). We may also give your information to a delivery or postal service so that your order can be delivered to you
- If you use our recommendation service to e-mail one of our articles to a friend, Equedia will automatically send this person a one-time e-mail, with the recommended article attached. The e-mail address you give us will appear on the “from” line of the e-mail, thereby disclosing this information to whoever opens and reads the e-mail. Similarly, if you send e-mail from our site, by using “reply to author” or “e-mail this post,” your address may appear as the return address of that e-mail
- We may disclose your personal information as required by applicable law, or in response to legal process, to protect the rights or property of Equedia, or to protect the safety of Equedia, our users, or others
- We may sometimes conduct mailings to other people’s lists. To make it easier for us to comply with the Federal CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/canspam.shtm), we may share our e-mail list of people who have requested not to receive promotional communications from us with the list providers (or contractors) solely so that we can avoid sending e-mails to people who have asked not to receive them (or, conversely, so that our advertisers can avoid sending e-mail to people who have requested not to hear from them). We provide these lists only to list providers or contractors that we consider to be reputable, and only under strict nondisclosure/nonuse agreements
- We may disclose personal information in some other limited circumstances, but we will specifically describe them to you when we collect the information, such as in the rules of a contest or a new service. For example, if we are going to give personal information to a contest’s sponsor, we will disclose it when you sign up for the contest, so that you can decide if you want to enter
- We may employ contractors or other third parties to help with our operations. We may give them access to databases of user information, so that they can perform services for us, including performing system maintenance, displaying personalized content (such as portfolios), performing list analysis or management, or sending mailings for us from our advertisers. These parties are all subject to confidentiality agreements that restrict the use and disclosure of information they obtain through their relationship with Equedia
- The ads appearing on this website may be delivered to you by Google Inc., our advertiser. Information about your visits to Equedia.com and its related web sites, such as the number of times you have viewed an ad (but not your name, address, or other personal information), is used to serve ads to you
Third Party Providers
We use third party widgets including the Sharethis widget and Quotemedia services.
Please visit their respective website for more information on their policies:
What Kind of Security Measures Do We Take to Protect Your Information From Accidental Loss or Disclosure?
Equedia is committed to protecting your personal information.
Personalized areas of our sites, such as My Equedia, are password-protected. Only you have access to these password-protected areas. Do not share your passwords with anyone. Equedia will never ask you for your password in an unsolicited phone call or e-mail. If you are using a computer to which others have access, such as one in a computer lab, Internet cafe, or public library, always remember to log out and close your browser window when leaving our site.
If you have forgotten your password; visit our “Forgotten Password” page to retrieve it.
Will Equedia Use Your Information for Direct Mailings?
If you register with Equedia or sign up for or buy any of our products or services, we will send you information about our various products and services, or other products and services that we believe may interest you. Our partners in co-branded products may also send you information, but only for those Equedia branded products.
If you do not want to receive such offers and mailings, you can let us know on our opt-out page, or you may send a request via regular postal mail to:
We will remove your name from our lists as soon as we can. Another way is simply to click the “unsubscribe” link found in our e-mail messages.
Equedia Information Systems uses double opt-in to ensure everyone who is added to our mailing lists confirms that they want to be on the list.
In a single opt-in, people submit an e-mail address and ask (opt) for specific e-mails to be sent to them. The inherent issue with a single opt-in is that people might submit their name inadvertently, or someone may have submitted their name for them, against their wishes.
Double opt-in is an enhanced permission that tackles these issues. With double opt-in, the submitted name is not immediately added to a mailing list. Instead, an e-mail is sent to the address, asking to confirm that e-mail address should indeed be added. If the recipient of the confirmation e-mail does nothing, the submitted address is taken off of any mailings. The name is only added to a distribution list if the recipient responds to the confirmation e-mail.
Please note: If you purchase products and/or services from us, or if you register for an account with us, we may contact you to confirm your purchase, subscription, or registration, or to provide you with information about its terms or features. You may wish to keep this transactional or relationship e-mail to help you use our products and services.
How Can You Deactivate Your Account or Edit the Information We Have About You?
If you want to correct or change information in your Personal Profile, or any other information we have about you, please go to your personal profile page once you login, under MyArea and make your changes there.
To cancel any of your free e-mail subscriptions, do so by emailing us at email@example.com
To cancel your account, please call Customer Service at 1-888-EQUEDIA (378-3342)
How Do We Respect Children’s Privacy?
Our sites are not directed at children under the age of 13. We operate our sites in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.shtm) and will not knowingly collect or use personally identifiable information from anyone under 13.
What Else Should You Know About Your Privacy?
When you post information on discussion boards, blogs, and in your personal profile, the information, along with your screen name is visible to the public. Please remember that whenever you disclose personal information publicly such information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information online where people can see it, people will know that information and you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. If you do not want strangers to have your e-mail address, you should not post your e-mail address on a discussion board.
This Privacy Statement applies to the operations of our US and Canadian sites. Data handling practices and rules may differ from country to country.
Any information you choose to make public or private is at your sole discretion and information you choose to add in your profile is done so with the understanding that you waive all responsibility and liability of your privacy from Equedia. This includes areas where you can choose to make your email or any other personal information public on your profile. This does not include information you have used to register.
While we do our best to protect your personal information, Equedia cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any password and/or account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online, especially when using a computer that other people can use also.
Many of our advertisers or partners, such as brokerages, merchants, or data providers, link from our site to areas on their own sites where they sell their own products and services. If you follow links from our site to others, you should be aware that you are doing business with those other sites, which have their own privacy and data collection practices. Equedia has no responsibility or liability for these independent policies. For more information regarding a site and its privacy policies, check that site.
We may change this Privacy Statement at any time, but we will give notice of any material change (or any notices that we are required to give you) on our websites and/or in e-mail messages.